We can’t make this recipe enough. The kids push to get this on the menu all the time, and it’s a fast and easy meal. As long as you are good at cubing chicken. The end result is a creamy, tiki masala-like dish. You can make a mountain of this stuff and it makes for killer leftovers. Also, if you are feeling ambitious, make some garlic naan to go with it.
Time to prep: 30 minutes
Time to done: 4 hours and 30 minutes
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons yellow curry powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1/2 sweet onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons light brown sugar
In a large saucepan cook rice according to package instructions; set aside.
In a small bowl, whisk together chicken stock, tomato paste, curry powder, garam masala, turmeric, cayenne, salt and pepper.
Place chicken, onion, garlic and ginger into a 4-qt slow cooker. Stir in chicken stock mixture.
Cover and cook on low heat for 4 hours. Stir in heavy cream, lime juice and brown sugar; season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Serve immediately with rice.